SANScreen is a Monitoring and Management Tools for Storage
SANscreen Streamlines IT’s ability to transform itself into a service delivery business with efficient monitoring and management of complex shared virtual infrastructures with high service expectations. Make strategic and tactical storage decisions in the context of the infrastructure, and on the basis of the value it delivers to the business.
- Manage your storage infrastructure with optimal visibility and efficiency using one of the most widely deployed service-centric solutions for complex heterogeneous storage networks in production today.
- Create a holistic view of your storage infrastructure as a unified set of services in the context of application service levels, cost and operational efficiencies, and business objective alignment.
- Real-world SANscreen deployments support over two million Fibre Channel switch ports and over 200PB of storage capacity.
Service Insight, the baseline for our SANscreen solution, provides end-to-end discovery of and visibility into your storage infrastructure, including host-to-storage access paths across multivendor and multiprotocol (SAN, NAS/NFS, iSCSI) environments. Unlike many other storage management products, Service Insight agentless discovery operations are read only, out of band, near real time, and nonintrusive, so you can avoid the high TCO associated with host-agent maintenance. Service Insight allows you to properly plan and discover heterogeneous and NetApp Data ONTAP storage devices along with their service-path configurations, volumes, and capacity. It monitors their performance, including latency, volume, and trends, to determine the most suitable target volume to serve an application.
SANscreen Service Assurance builds on the service path modeling of Service Insight and allows you to establish global, application, host, or path-based service policies. When these services fail to meet the defined policy, Service Assurance can correlate historic data for fast triage and root-cause analysis to help minimize the risk of performance problems and reduce downtime. Service Assurance helps you create plans to implement any change in your environment, and it is a powerful tool when planning consolidation and migration projects. You can simulate your plan to understand its effect on your service-level policies and validate planned changes before executing your plan. It helps you avoid unplanned outages, minimize downtime, and complete your project more quickly.
SANscreen Application Insight captures near-real-time performance information from your storage environment and maps it to applications, hosts, and access paths. With Application Insight you can optimize application performance and utilize your networked storage resources at the lowest possible cost. Monitor your array performance, from application to disk, to identify array bottlenecks and proactively resolve them. Identify the best array to allocate to a new application, improve productivity, and reduce operational expenditures.
- Improve array, switch, and fabric utilization without compromising performance.
- Correlate traffic balance problems to application performance and multipath configuration errors.
- Identify the best array and switch resources to allocate to a new application.
- Optimize storage allocation to accelerate application performance.
- Identify the least or most utilized storage “object.”
Your virtual servers might deliver higher CPU usage and other benefits. But they can also introduce risks. Without systematic monitoring of the environment, you can experience significant low storage utilization caused by outdated VM images that continue to claim storage space or large LUNs that are improperly allocated to VMs and result in underutilized or unused (“orphaned”) storage.
Improve storage utilization with VM Insight’s continuous analysis of your environment, automatically identifying orphaned or underutilized storage.
- Fibre Channel Switches – SanDirect
- Identify Storage I/O Latency & Improve VM Performance
- Get Your Storage Under Control with SANscreen
About the Author (Author Profile)
Sites That Link to this Post
- VMWare vSphere | Virtual Network Distribution – NetAppSky | January 13, 2011